Follow us on
Brazil 2014

FIFA Confederations Cup generates $20.7 billion BRL for Brazilian economy

General View during the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 Group A match between Mexico and Italy at the Maracana Stadium
© Getty Images

This Monday 7 April, the Brazilian Ministry of Tourism released the results of a study carried out by the Fundação Instituto de Pesquisas Econômicas (FIPE) (Economic Research Institute), which revealed the impact of the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013 on the Brazilian economy. In total, last year's competition generated R$20.7 billion.

Of this total, R$11 billion was money spent by Brazilian and foreign tourists, Local Organising Committee (LOC) activity and private and public investment. The remaining R$9.7 billion is accounted for as an increase in the country’s GDP. Of this amount, 58 per cent came in the FIFA Confederations Cup host cities - Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro and Salvador - while the remaining 42 per cent was spread across the rest of the country, revealing the nationwide scope of the event.

The host city where the most money was generated was Rio de Janeiro, where a total of R$6 billion was injected into the economy. This represented an increase of R$2.8 billion in the city’s GDP. Brazilian and foreign tourists spent a total of R$117 million in the Cidade Maravilhosa.

Brazil 2013 Local Organising Committee (LOC) investment accounted for R$524.4 million of the R$20.7 billion fillip to the economy that the competition provided. At the same time LOC spending represented R$321 million of the R$9.7 billion of income generated by the event.

FIPE spoke to representatives from the competition offices and special committees, businesses and those involved in the Brazilian supply chain, as well as to 17,000 tourists in the host cities during the 16 games in the tournament. 

All related documents

Recommended Stories

FIFA Confederations Cup

FIFA Confederations Cup - Fans

01 Sep 2013

FIFA Confederations Cup

Fans at the Brazil 2013 Final

03 Jul 2013

FIFA Confederations Cup

Fans at Brazil 2013

27 Jun 2013